[Lancaster] I hope this is a dumb question, but I fear it is!

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 15:24:16 UTC 2009

Wayne Ward wrote:
> Yes i dont see why not?
>
> Wayne

I just talked to a friend of mine about this, who has looked into it,
and apparently it's not as simple as it might seem. The usb 2.0 standard
defines a 'unit load' as 100mA; this is the default amount of current
provided to a single device. A device can request more current than
this, but this has to be done in software - e.g. in windows by
installing a driver for whatever device you are trying to charge.

This means that your phone may charge very slowly compared to what it
should be able to manage with proper configuration. You are very
unlikely to damage either the laptop or your phone though, so maybe just
give it a try and see if it charges quickly enough for your needs.

I'm not sure what you need to do in linux to tell the usb port to go
into high current mode, but a very quick look on google suggests it may
be a question of writing the correct udev rules.

Posting the output of 'lsusb' to the list might help as well.

andy