[Lancaster] Firewall distros..

Dave Smith lists at td-online.co.uk
Wed Nov 18 23:14:30 UTC 2009

Wayne,

Yeh, Smoothwall's pretty nice - I used it back on version 2 for a good
while on an old 433 for a good while, then stopped due to house
renovations. Recently reinvigorated my parents old desktop PC (PIII of
some description) which is running it solidly along with 4 NICs (1 to
the ADSL Modem; 1 to DMZ; 1 to Wireless; 1 to Internal Network).

I haven't brought the DMZ live on this box just yet due to my server
being too noisy to tuck away anywhere but it worked fine at Version 2!

My only gripe with smoothwall is that, due to its nature, it's bigger
and needs more than it perhaps could do - but without the time to play
with IPTables probably here it serves it's purpose well! And, I have to
admit, I'm a sucker for a well put together GUI!

Haven't had chance to play with any of the mods for it yet - not really
had a need.

Be interesting to hear any experiences you have with it.

Dave

P.S. I'm pretty certain I can make it next month for the LUG meet, finally!