[Lancaster] Lancaster Library

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 06:57:06 UTC 2009

Richard Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 07:04:02PM +0000, andy baxter wrote:
>
>> The basic idea is just that everything (apart from users) is a node, so
>> a module that (e.g.) allows comments on static pages will also work for
>> any other page without any messing about.
>>

> Yes, that's the sort of thing I was suspecting. Which would probably be very
> useful.

If you haven't already found them, the most important contributed
modules are:

Content Construction Kit (cck) - this lets you create custom node types
with your own choice of fields using a point and click interface.

Views - this lets you create lists of node teasers matching certain
criteria. E.g. all upcoming events.

Content Template (contemplate) - this gives you a somewhat easier way of
making custom templates for particular node types, so you can change the
default way that nodes and their teasers are displayed on screen. You
still need to use PHP, but you get a lot of help doing this from the
interface.

If you want, you could come round some time and I could give you a
guided tour of the site I built recently (
www.lancs.ac.uk/experimentality ), and show you how all the modules fit
together.

The hardest part of getting started with drupal seems to be finding out
which contrib modules do what you want, and then which ones out of them
(often there are several) are well designed and properly maintained.
Google is your friend, as you have found out.

andy