[Lancaster] firewall update

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 26 10:53:44 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 17:33:49 Wayne Ward wrote:
> Looks like I got a fix for the FTP on custom ports on the firewall !
> look here
> http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33332&p=265381#p
>265381 Its not often you see ftp on custom ports but looks like a quick fix
> im just going to test now...
>
> I had a small problem today - the client was running a program that was
> doing a who is lookup
> So just added allow on port 43 on the firewall and that was fixed
> So far the smoothie is cutting it good style !!

Hi Wayne!

Is this refering to my query a while back?

The messages refered to at the link given above mention the use of port 210.

My query concerned vsftp and it's use of ports in the upper thousands range.
Since then I've seen a fsftpd.conf file which does refer to this and actually
tells vsftp to restrict use of these ports as follows:

"
# Limit passive ports to this range to assis firewalling
pasv_min_port=30000
pasv_max_port=30100
"