[Lancaster] linux user group

Wayne Ward wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 22:16:14 UTC 2009

100 % andy - I use certain ways to get people in the group if i use
facebook or myspace who cares aslong as we get the members!!

i used the mac user terms because i know a lot of mac users want to
get under the hood and may do some devoloping and want to get to use
linux etc  and then you get the other type who dont care so they dont
apply!!

so to recap im not wanting to change any names or groups etc im just
letting people in the group what im doing to expand and get more users!
i had two new users this month and one new one next month so I hope
you can see methods in my madness :)

anybody else have any ideas for me promoting the lancaster linux user
group while we are on the conversation!! any help appreciatted

come on gareth pics on text now and get your lug mailman account
working !!  caaammm on!!!

also anyone know marks email address??...

Wayne

On 13 Oct 2009, at 23:01, andy baxter wrote:

> Wayne Ward wrote:
>> aaahhhh i just been on the phone to gareth on the phone !!
>> i didnt mean changing the whole group to linux and mac i was more
>> talking about keywords and letting mac users know they can run linux
>> on there mac aswell!!! im quite sure there is a few mac users who run
>> linux aswell if you know what i mean
>> even my lad runs a mac and he will be joining the linux user group as
>> he runs and practisce linux aswell!!
>>
>> sorry about any confusion!!!!
>>
> I did think that you were talking about making it a linux / mac group,
> so thanks for making that clear.
>
> I think the focus of the linux group, and its name, should stay as it
> is. If you want to run a facebook group that's up to you, and you can
> call it what you want as far as I'm concerned; the thing that I am not
> happy about is if this becomes the way that we are expected to talk
> and
> make decisions as a group. It might bring in a few members, which is
> all
> to the good, but I really don't like facebook, and don't want to be
> forced into joining it just to be part of the linux group - to me
> facebook stands for something quite different, which is against the
> values of free software. I could go on if you want.... ;)
>
> Not sure what else to say. The thing I am into is the geek / hacker
> ethic regarding computers which is about the freedom to make them work
> the way you want, and playing with systems and being able to change
> them
> to suit your needs. There are people with that attitude using mac and
> windows (and BSD) as well, but commercial systems generally stand in
> the
> way of that rather than encouraging it. So in a way the focus on just
> linux is a bit narrower than the thing I really believe in, but also
> linux (and BSD) is the OS that actually stands behind that and says
> its
> a good thing rather than trying to stop it or twist it into something
> else. Which is why I reckon we should stay as a linux based group.
>
> Hope this makes my feelings a bit clearer,
>
> andy

Regards,
Wayne ward

07957448652
Lancaster Computers

www.lancastercomputers.co.uk
wayne at lancastercomputers.co.uk

Computers - Laptops - Servers - Web Services