[Lancaster] Firewall problem

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 21 13:08:48 UTC 2009

Andy et al,

After spending some time trying to sort out my problem wrt browser access to
the ftp server running on my Linux box, I got myself confused.

The reference below to browsers using the login name of "USER" isn't the
reason why I cannot log into the ftp server via a browser.

The fact is that I can use Firefox or 'My Computer/My Network Places' to
contact the ftp server PROVIDED that the firewall on the ftp server box is
disabled. So it looks like there is indeed something that I've missed wrt to
the firewall config.

It appears that I do have ports 20 and 21 available through the firewall, so
it looks like I need some other port or ports as well. So no real progress to
date.

Yours confused!

Ken Hough