[Lancaster] firewall

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 23 14:35:45 UTC 2009

Hi Wayne!

I agree that it's not good to have all of those ports open, but until I can
establish just which of these upper ports are needed, and for what
applications, I'm taking the easy way out.

To recap:

If I use a simple ternimal based ftp client, the matter is simple. Port 21
does the job!

To achieve ftp via the likes of Firefox or via Windows with "My Comptuter/My
Network Places", ports in the upper range must be opened.

By gradually closing in the lower and upper port range limits on the firewall
that protects the vsftp server, I established that at least two ports were
being used between something like 51000 and 65000. At this stage, I got fed
up. A study of the output from 'wireshark' might throw further light on this.

I've not been able to discover any published information about which of the
upper ports are used and whether these are always the same. So, at this stage
I've decided to take the easy way out.

As I mentioned in a previus message, Microsoft seem to have come a similar
conclusion.

Again, as I mentioned previously, only computers on my LAN can have direct
access to the vsftp server and it's firewall, and it's only me who uses the
LAN. Checks with "Shields Up" at www.grc.com confirm that my LAN cannot be
seen from the Internet.

Regards

Ken hough