[Lancaster] anyone have a spare wireless card

Ken Hough kenhough at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 5 09:28:58 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 17:06:29 andy baxter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a spare wireless card that works with linux? PCI
> ideally but could be usb.
>
> My flatmate needs one fairly urgently as his old pci wireless card isn't
> working with the new router I bought.
>
> cheers,
>
> andy

As far as I know, the Netgear routers use standard b and g wifi protocols. The
DG834GT model that I can also use a 'special' Netgear mode that can provide
approx twice the 'g' speed.

You might check what setting have been enabled/allowed on your router and how
they compare with those on your flatmates machine.

I leave mine set to allow both 'b' and 'g'.

Do you have MAC access control set and if so has the MAC address of his card
been added to the list of acceptable devices?

Does your flatmate use Linux? If so, try using Wicd. This is the best thing I
know for detecting and managing wi-fi links.

You might check also that your flatmates security/encryption matches that on
your router  --  but I'm probably telling Granny how to suck eggs.  :-)

Regards