[Lancaster] file server with backups - advice wanted

Joost Noppen joost.noppen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 20:13:44 UTC 2010

Hi Andy,

That makes sense. I must admit that I never looked into something like bacula because we are responsible for our own backups. but I think in itself you can come a good way rsync-based stuff.

Just to sketch a scenario (if it does not apply you can ignore it, it largely depends on network setup anyway). Let's assume you are running a file server based on linux, which shares a number of folders as network drives to windows machines using samba. I will assume that the users on windows machines store their files on the samba share and this needs to be backed up.

You can then use rsync to copy the contents of the shared drives on the file server to another physical drive or even another server. If you would then share the backups as samba shares again, the windows users can mount a backup drive that contains all their files from, say, a day ago. If you want to take it a step further, you can even make multiple backups (one day ago, two days ago, one week ago, etc.). I know that for example back in time uses rsync to literally only copy the files, no encrypting or anything else. The only thing you have to make sure of is that the folder names are clear. Maybe something like:

- Backup <DATE 1>
	- My Documents
	- etc...
- Backup <DATE 2>
	- My Documents
	- etc...

If I remember my windows correctly, you include specific files in the folder to make sure the folder appears differently when opened in windows explorer. I am thinking of a watermark that says "backup drive", or something similar. Maybe this gives you some ideas to avoid setting up a large scale solution?

Cheers,
Joost

Joost Noppen
Computing Department