[Lancaster] file server with backups - advice wanted

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Tue Feb 2 09:09:27 UTC 2010

I set up a back up system whilst still at Lancs Uni, based on this
website:

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Basically:

I had a server used as a file server - it was this that was backed up. It
was NFS and Samba mountable, the samba was tied into the domain controller
so that users we authenticated through that.

A second machine used rsync as described in the above link to do rolling
backups of the home folders. These were dated and (from memory) backups we
kept for the last 7 days, then one backup a week was kept for a few months
then monthly backups for a year. The process above describes how this can
be achieved without (hopefully) needing N-times the size of the home
folders.

The directories of backups were then mounted back to the file server as
read-only so that users could access there own historical home directories.

At the time I couldn't find anything else so simple and efficient.

Hope that helps,

Martyn