[Lancaster] Simple network

Gustavo Carreno guscarreno at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 20 11:44:34 UTC 2010

Hey Rick,

2010/2/20 Rik Boland <rik_boland at btinternet.com>
> I am wanting to create a real simple network between 2 unbuntu machine where sould, I start?

You have 2 options.
The cheapest one would be to get a Ethernet cable and just connect
them with it. This would also mean that one of the machines would need
2 NIC's so one would be connected to the internet.
OR you can use a Switch, and the price on them has been coming down,
to connect all your hardware. This would also mean you can connect
your Router and the 2 machines quite easily.

Once every thing is connected you then have the options to let your
Internet Router/Modem do the firewall and internal routing work or you
could have one of the Ubuntu machines do it.
First Option is simpler since you have a nice Web Interface on your
Router to help you.
Second Option is a bit more complicated and you would need to do some
reading on it. But, IIRC, Ubuntu has a nice Graphic Interface for the
Firewall rules that will help any novice feel at home with the
complicated stuff.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Gus