[Lancaster] wireless routers

Dave Smith lists at td-online.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 21:24:43 UTC 2010

Hi Andy

Not sure how it'd necessarily do on range, but I've been prety impressed
- for the price - with these:

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-125-high-speed/whr-g125-wireless-g-high-speed-router/

Cost me about £18 on E-Buyer when I got mine (about 6 months ago) and
took around 5 minutes to slap DD-WRT (mini version) on there. Gives me
multiple security options (including Radius), along with a plethora of
vlan and routing options (for such a little box). Admittedly, I haven't
tested the 'extra' features DD-WRT offers, but both my WAPs are sitting
there happily with plus 50 day uptimes (I rebooted them after issuing a
delayed firmware update) with no noticeable problems: they're sat on
diffferent networks, one providing "hidden" access to family computers,
the other providing open guest access.

Like I say, I'm not 100% sure how they'll do over 3 stories, but I've
had no issues around my house with them, and you can always up the Tx
Power with DD-WRT anyway...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Should give you a list of devices to check against for compatability.
I'd highly recommend giving it a look whatever device you decide upon.

Dave