[Lancaster] (no subject)

Martyn Welch martyn at welchs.me.uk
Sun Mar 14 09:20:43 UTC 2010

Rik Boland wrote:

>  Hi folks
>
>  I am 99.9% confident I want to get one of these
>
>  GPS 4now Bluetooth GPS Receiver for mobile navigation
>
>  I dont have any gprs on my phone and would ideal like to use it with
>  open street map
>
>  My phone is nokia 6301
>
>  Would this work as a simple tomtom style thing?

Nope - Open Streep Map is like maps.google.co.uk, it doesn't (currently)
provide a viable replacement for satnav
 functionality.

Unfortunately Ovi Maps (Nokia's free sat nav software) doesn't support
your phone by the looks of it. I have used Wayfinder with a Bluetooth
GPS device in the past (it required 3G/GPRS and was licensed at about
£50 a year), but it looks like Google Maps Navigation (which is only
available for Android) and Nokia Ovi Maps (which is only available in
their newer phones) has now killed this product.

I Currently use an older version of Nokia Maps, which is a licensed
product (and requires 3G/GPRS), but even that seems to be completely
missing from there website these days.

TomTom used to sell a version which worked on some Nokia phones, but
that seems to have gone now as well. I have just been looking into this
for my wife as well - we ended up going for a TomTom start. Unless you
happen to have a rather new Smartphone, buying a cheap stand-alone unit
is about the cheapest/only option at the moment I'm afraid.

That is unless you just want to record GPS data for helping with Open
Street Map - then, yes that unit will probably work fine, though you
will still need some software for your phone to record the data.

Martyn