[Lancaster] OT : electrical installation

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 08:37:35 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This is way OT, but does anyone know about the regulations around
electrical installations in the UK? A friend of mine has asked me to
build them a brew temperature controller for their micro-brewery, and it
would be good to know where I stand with regard to all this.

One specific question is are people allowed to install their own
electrical sockets? I would like them to have an RCD socket in the the
wall to protect the circuit. They only cost about 15 quid, and I could
probably do it myself safely enough, but I'm not a qualified electrician
and I would like to know if doing so is likely to cause trouble for me
or them later on.

Also, are there any rules which would apply to the rest of the system?
Roughly, I'm planning to use a microcontroller to operate an AC solid
state switch module, which would control a convection heater in the
insulated cabinet they are building. This is a prebuilt module with
screw terminals, not separate parts, so I think it should be safe, but
again I would like to know if there's any legal stuff I could fall foul of.

any help appreciated,

andy baxter