[Lancaster] Another web hosting query

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 13:32:54 UTC 2011

Hi Jonath,

Webfaction.com are brilliant if you can afford their slightly higher
charges. It's costing me around 80 pounds a year for 200Gb of storage,
600Gb of bandwidth, unlimited databases (mysql or postgres) and emails.
They have ssh / sftp access as standard. Rsync is installed, but you
might have to run it yourself as a background process (which they will
probably agree to).

Their web based hosting control panel is written by them, and very well
thought out IMHO. You have separate sections for 'domains',
'applications', 'websites', and 'DNS overrides'. 'domains' lets you
create subdomains and add domains that you own. 'Applications' are
usually web apps with an install directory, but can also be custom apps
which listen on a localhost port (which can be automatically proxied to
a mount point on a website.) 'Websites' connect domains and applications
to an IP. You can choose separate mount points for all the applications
you want hosted on a particular domain, and move them around easily if
you change your mind. 'DNS overrides' let you tweak DNS records in a
finer way than you can through the 'domains' section.

This may sound complicated, but makes a lot of sense, and is much more
flexible than CPanel.

Tech support is also good - they are quick to reply and knowledgeable
enough to be useful.

Altogether I would recommend them highly from what I've seen so far.

andy