[Lancaster] geek web hosting

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 20:52:01 UTC 2011

On 17/10/11 19:47, KEN HOUGH wrote:
> Hi Andy!
>
> I use 1 and 1 Internet Ltd. They're reported to be one of the biggest
> Internet Hosting companies in the world.
>
> They offer a lot of services and types of account, including the
> choice of running on Linux
> or Windows servers.
>
> Regards
>
> Ken Hough
>

> --- On *Mon, 17/10/11, andy baxter
> /<andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk>/* wrote:
>

>     From: andy baxter <andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk>
>     Subject: [Lancaster] geek web hosting
>     To: "Lancaster Linux User Group" <lancaster at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>     Date: Monday, 17 October, 2011, 15:55
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Can anyone recommend a good geek friendly web hosting company? I'm
>     thinking of moving from dayanahost.com who I've been using for
>     some time. The things that have prompted me to want to move are:
>
>     - The python support from dayanahost isn't that good (old python
>     version, plus no mod_python or mod_wsgi).
>     - I am thinking of setting up a service on my home server (running
>     over our home broadband), which needs SRV DNS records and also
>     dynamic DNS updating (no static IP). At the moment I'm using
>     dyndns.org for my home server's ADSL IP address, but I would
>     rather have it set up on a subdomain of my main domain. Dayana's
>     DNS can do subdomains but not dynamic updates or SRV records.
>     Dyndns can do SRV records but only if I pay for a separate domain,
>     which I don't really want to do.
>
>     I'd also be looking for things like:
>
>     - recent versions of php, perl and python
>     - ssh/sftp access.
>     - good tech support.
>     - able to start with a small cheap package, then upgrade according
>     to the resources I use.
>
>     Any suggestions?
>
>     andy

Hi Andy,

I use supergreenhosting.com

You can get SSH access and the web panel allows you to do a one-click
install of many different CMS.

If you do decide to join one tip is to fill in the application form but
not submit - you will be an email offer within a few hours for more
money off.

Support has always been excellent via a live chat system which means no
waiting around to get answer or 'take a ticket' system.

Regards, Mark.