[Lancaster] linux gaming + PC hardware

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 08:22:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've been considering buying a new PC recently, partly because I've been
thinking about getting back into gaming. Probably I'd keep my laptop for
travelling and get a desktop PC.

Has anyone on the list any experience with gaming on linux? E.g. how
many games are released for linux, and how many is it possible to run
using Wine or in a windows VM?

Also, I was wondering if people with a bit more hardware experience than
me could advise me on a good choice for a linux compatible desktop PC? I
want something pretty high spec, so it will last me at least 5-7 years.
I saw this on the linux emporium site:
http://shop.linuxemporium.co.uk/hardware/hardware-desktops/antec-based-high-performance-desktop-computer.html

I'd be up for supporting them if it's not vastly overpriced, just to
save myself the hassle of checking hardware compatibility, but I don't
know enough about current hardware to know what's good and how much I
should pay for it.

Thanks,

andy baxter