[Lancaster] windows 8 and uefi

Cefn Hoile lancaster_lug.org.uk at cefn.com
Mon Jun 11 14:22:47 UTC 2012

They've already done it, Ken, and the fines will be worth it, if it
means they maintain their de-facto monopoly over the desktop into the
next generation.

So long as firmware 'bios' builds are being specified with the normal
engineering lead time, we will already have a host of vendors
committed to Windows-only devices based on this certification
announcement, built that way from the ground up before even seeing the
light of day in the market. Once built that way it will be easier for
vendors to leave them that way.

The only reason IE is now lagging is its bad engineering, and that
people had a choice. The monopoly position was established and worked
well for a long time. In this case, there's no exit, so people can't
migrate away when they realise Microsoft is the worst thing they could
possibly do to their great-great-grandchildren.

The only thing we can hope is that the comprehensive shafting Nokia is
getting in the marketplace, siding with Microsoft, will lead vendors
towards Android+Ubuntu offerings instead.

Cefn
http://cefn.com