[Lancaster] xmonad and javascript

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 07:00:35 UTC 2012

On 12/06/12 07:46, Richard Smedley wrote:
> On 10/06/12 21:20, serko wrote:
>> Never heard of coffescript before. I have heard of nodejs but I haven't
>> used it. I'll give them some time because they do seem interesting.
>
> You need to read the LinuxUser & Developer [1] book reviews ;-)
>
> We've reviewed:
> Getting Started with GEO, CouchDB, and Node.js (issue 106)
> CoffeeScript - Accelerated JavaScript Development (issue 107)
> Head First JQuery (issue 108)
> Node Web Development (issue 109)
> Building Android Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript: Making Native
> Apps with Standards-Based Web Tools (2nd Edition) (issue 112)
> ...plus loads of books on JS, Ruby, Python, Big Data, Informatics...

I wrote this:

http://highfellow.org/misc/word-clock/word-clock.html

in coffeescript. It's a nice language. The source is here:
http://highfellow.org/misc/word-clock/app/word-clock.coffee if you're
interested.

I'm currently updating it to use some node based libraries like
node-gettext, backbone, and async. (You can use nodejs in the browser
using a node module called 'browserify', which compiles your whole
program plus dependencies into one javascript file.)

andy