[Lancaster] looking for a good wifi router

Cefn Hoile lancaster_lug.org.uk at cefn.com
Mon Jun 25 09:54:52 UTC 2012

Not a direct answer to the question, but my Netgear from Orange was also
buggy as hell, and it only took me about 5 minutes to the call centre to
have them send me an Orange Brightbox, a solid device which has delivered
great service for the last 4 months or so.

It seems a shame not to have a device with a community firmware
distribution but the value of at least having stable network connectivity
is that I can reliably and easily maintain the builds on everything else in
the house.

To do the job of the always-on, hackable central home device, instead of a
hackable router, I grabbed a Pogoplug and stuck Wheezy on it (although
Squeeze is the stable alternative, I'm used to being nearer to the bleeding
edge with Ubuntu being based on unstable)...
http://cefn.com/blog/pogoplug_wheezy.html
http://projects.doozan.com/debian/
...which is doing a fine job, even running MPD and letting us listen to
French Internet Radio all day.

Be great to get together with others who are interested in Firmware hacking
projects, as this has turned from being a hobby to a central theme of my
PhD. Especially interested in hacking the Nook Simple Touch (for eInk
android) and Digital Picture Frames based on the Appotech 206, inspired by
the dpf-ax project.

Cefn
http://cefn.com