[Lancaster] Firewall problem

Ken Hough kenhough at kencomp.net
Fri Jul 22 20:53:36 UTC 2016

Wayne, Mark, Andy,

Hi all! Good to learn that you are all alive and active.

I've been trying to make progress with my original query wrt firewall settings
for my wi-fi enabled Printer/scanner, but still with no success. I discovered a
web page by Canon which gave port settings for their printers, but still no
success. Puzzling!

If I drop the firewall, it works OK.

Maybe I should learn a bit more about networking diagnostics. Perhaps
wireshark could help me.

Re Linux chat, etc, that could be good although I'm a bit long in the tooth
compared with you guys. My hearing isn't what it used to be so that I find it
hard to pick out voices in the general background noise of a pub.

My computer activities mostly involve boring stuff like email, buying selling
via Internet, photo image processing. I used to use Gimp (with UFRaw plug-in)
for all of my DSLR image processing, but am finding darktable (v2.0.4 which I
had to compile from source code) to be much better  --  well worth the effort.

I get to try new distros including Win 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 via VirtualBox. Was
distinctly unimpressed with the former and not keen on the latter. I guess
that I've got used to Debian stable releases plus my own tweeks.

Have been helping a friend to update his Linux PC from Linux Mint v14 to v17
and was very impressed with this distro. It has to be the best distro that
I've seen for encouraging Windoze users to jump ship. Very neat!

My two main desktop PCs use 120GB SSDs for the OS and 1TB spinners for /home
and data. I've also fitted an SSD into my trusty little ASUS netbook. The
increase in bootup and app loading speeds via SSD is stunning. Highly
recomended!

I have three Raspberry Pis, including a Pi 3 which has enough clout to be
quite useful  --  it's even capable of playing DVDs via a USB CD/DVD player
without any significant jitter (needs libdvdcss2 to be compiled from source
code).

Am presently experimenting with a Pi B+ running a Pi camera streaming video
via a static IP address on wi-fi.

Being familiar with Debian means that Raspian isn't difficult to manage although
there are enough differences to be a niusance  --  until I figure them out.

Regards

Ken