[Lincs] Re: Dual processor systems

Chris Lingard lincs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Nov 4 18:00:01 2002

On Monday 04 November 2002 4:21 pm, Robert E A Harvey wrote:
> > From: Chris Lingard <chris@stockwith.co.uk>
> > To: lincs@mailman.lug.org.uk
> >
> > Green with envy.  I tried to buy a Tyan Tiger MP m/b based machine
> > recently but could not find a supplier
>
> If you are interested I could build you anything you specify - I have s=
ome
> time on my hands as my employer has just paid everyone off and vanished=
 in
> a puff of green smoke.

I wish I had known three months ago.  I needed to test a build that was t=
aking
over 8 hours on an AMD K-6 500MHz.  Tried the usual Lincs suppliers for
computers but could not do any good.  I only wanted a fast box, and not t=
he
bundles of rubbish that they throw in now.

In the end I bought a Duran 1.2GHz machine, (just an empty machine in a
box).  Got it for =A3300.  Swaped memory, disks and things round; and it =
did the
job.

But next time I will know to ask you.

Hard luck on the job, I know the feeling well.

Chris