[Lincs] Awakening of Group

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Sat Jun 26 19:40:13 BST 2004

J Simpson V21 wrote:

>Quite happy to come to meetings if I am free and they are not too far.  Just
>aware that Lincolnshire is such a large geographical area, it doesn't seem
>plausible to meet in one place.

Nobody else has picked up on this point yet. Could this be the reason
LLUG never really took off the first time round or could it pose
problems for us in the future?

Is Lincolnshire too large an area to hold meetings for? The Scunthorpe
meetings mentioned on this list somewhere are 65 miles away from me in
Bourne making it a 130 mile round trip.

As an even more extreme example it is 94 miles from Stamford to Whitton
so if there were members in both those towns, even if a meeting was
right in the middle they'd still have nearly a 100 mile round trip. I
don't know how far other people are willing to travel for these
meetings, but the above figures look daunting to me at least.

Should there be North Lincs meetings and South Lincs Meetings? This
could either mean a group split or two different meeting areas - the
latter being better for maintaining numbers in the group. Or should
members on the extreme edges of the area be encouraged to attend other
groups which may be closer by? The Peterborough meetings for example are
only 15 miles from me.

Just a thought.

--
Ben "tola" Francis            http://hippygeek.co.uk