[Lincs] ADSL etiquette

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 13:50:19 BST 2004

I am pleased to anounce that ADSL reached East Stockwith last
week.  Had to rush out and buy an ADSL modem, since the
"enabling" email came out of the blue.  Still cannot really
believe it; despite downloading several CDs.

But now I realise how little I know about ADSL

Should I leave the modem on 24/7, or disconnect when
I am not using it; does this matter?

I notice that the download speed can vary between 40KB/sec
and 60KB/sec. Is this normal?

Another strange thing is that if I use the ISPs smtp service
smtp.ukfsn.org, then mails to the list bounce.  But a direct
email works?

Chris

PS

Lots more CDs for next meeting :-)