[Lincs] Wiki Defacement

Pete Hunt pete at ninjafriendly.com
Fri Jun 24 21:24:55 BST 2005

Ben Francis wrote:
> Things like this --> http://lincs.lug.org.uk/wiki make me question my
> usually optimistic view of the human race.

What, tech support doesn't? :)  Has this happened for every "Removing
Spam" entry in the diffs or is this a bigger defacement?  I'm assuming
the previous ones didn't do so much?

> Any suggestions to prevent this in the future? I'm generally against
> password protecting public spaces.

Delay updates to certain pages until they been given the once over?

Password protect particular pages -- frontpage, for example.  That's SOP
on most wikis.

Looks like it came from Singapore?  Can we ask the server admins to
block IPs from known spammer-friendly countries that have no real reason
to read LLUG? (Yes, just makes it slightly more difficult to deface, I
know).

Pete