[Lincs] Future plans

iain Baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 23:28:31 GMT 2005

On 11/14/05, Dave Rice <dave at ricey.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the lack of progess on my part...here's an update, and a
> potted history for Tony!
>
> Dave......
>

> Marc McGuinness wrote:
>
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > Sorry I haven't participated in any conversation recently. I've been
> > very busy with my studies and work.
> >
> > I followed your discussions about various topics. As far as I know
> > we've got 4 things to do:
> >
> > 1) Secure the wiki
> > Who would like to work on the wiki? We had many ideas on how to secure
> > the wiki. It's the volunteer's choice what will be implemented.
>
> History..
> We have a wiki on the LLUG website thats not secure and keeps getting
> spammed!  we are looking at a resolution, and still no decision as yet.
>
> > 2) Update the web page
> > Who would like to update the web page?
>
> History...
> The website is a bit out of date through no-ones fault, its a time thingy!
>
> I'll do it! A complete rebuild? should it include the wiki as an
> integral part?

the only problem i can see with a complete rebuild is involving the
comunity.... it was a quite interesting proccess creating our current
website! however if you feel you can handle a complete rebuild, i say
crack on!

as for the Wiki as interal part, i would be tempted to go along the
lines of the lancastria players website (www.lancastriaplayers.co.uk)
which requires a login to add to the site, except with slightly more
freedom for visitors, so guests can view all elements even if they
cant add to them.

just a thought...

> > 3) Work on the LLUG Linux distro
> > @Dave: What happened about your Linux distro work? What do you need to
> > continue?
>
> History..
> We decided to create our own linux liveCD for demonstration purposes and
> to install to our hard drives if we fancied.
>
> Oh yes, my bit  ;)   Haven't looked at it in the past couple of weeks,
> but knoppix 4.0.2 CD version looks fine for a remaster.
> No prob in that but we still need to get a Lincs look'n'feel.  Looking
> for a KDE theme that suits our needs.

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/llug/ has version 1.0 (or should that
be 0.1?) of a KDE Theme... and it is fully utilised on my new suse
10.0 oss box, including the kde menu side bar. since its now fully
utilised (the only thing i dont have is my own icon theme... yet...) i
can smoothe out a few last bits and when i can get on the computer
again (i have temporarily lost my internet connection so thankyou to
my girlfriends family for letting me steal there's) i will upload it!

if however there is a major change in theming on the website i can
play again... but i would ask that people visit the site and tell me
what they think... and msot of all any alterations...

alternatively if you have your own please feel free to log into angel
fire and upload it   (username  linux/llug   password lincolnshire)

> > 4) Plan a real life meeting
> > As I'm not in England at the moment, it's quite difficult for me to
> > arrange a meeting. Who could work on a meeting in the southern part of
> > the county?
> > @Iain: What about your plans for a meeting in Lincoln?
>
> History...
> We've only had 1 meeting in real life so far.  We need another!  But
> getting a suitable venue had been the problem due to the spread out
> nature of the group.  I think we settled on Lincoln for the next one,
> but no dates as yet.

As some of you know i am a member of her majesties royal air force...
and as such am likely to be mucked about at no notice... just to prove
that point i have been detached to Conningsby for 6 months, 2 weeks
after an internal posting... these work based stresses along with
trying to direct a play has left me with little time to sort out a
life... or a real life meeting... but i am still working on it!

sorry for the delay

iain