[Lincs] LLUG Distro

iain Baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 00:18:52 BST 2005

On 9/20/05, Dave Rice <dave at ricey.co.uk> wrote:
> Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk wrote:
>
> >Definite wants:
> >
> >Live Distro based on Knoppix/Ubuntu Debian (Knoppix already has scripts
> >which will allow you to do a HDD install of the liveCD)
> >
> >GNOME Desktop Environment (this could be a point of contention, but at I
> >think GNOME provides a cleaner interface than KDE)
> >

> Always a point of contention that one   lol, seeing as knoppix is KDE
> based....i'll go take a look at gnoppix

there are many reasons to choose both Desktop Environments, and
although i agree on clenliness, i think KDE is slightly more intuitive
for windows converts... just a thought tho' because i would be happy
with either!

> >LLUG Theme! :-)

why of course... and a sexy looking beast it shall be too!

> >Application Set should be balanced but keep number of similar
> >applications to a minimum, eg. Either Mozilla Thunderbird or Evolution
> >as an email client but not both. If we are designing a distro as a tool

agreed, and my own personal preferance would massively depend on the
DE... especially as i think Konquerer is too difficult for noobies to
add plugins! - great as a file manager not so strong as a browser!!

> >to introduce Linux to newbies a clear tight set of applications will
> >help the transition to the new OS (that doesn't mean we don't have to
> >add you own favourite apps when you've installed it on you own PC.
> >

> Agreed  :)

Thirded

> >Definite DON'T Wants:

to ape other OS's too much... otherwise we may get a "whats the point" response

> >Yes Please:

some worthwhile games, afterall- this is a major bone of contention- i
have heard many people say "yeah but they dont have proper games do
they?"

count me in as a volunteer!