[Lincs] Distro - Clarifying some points

James Taylor jt at imen.org.uk
Sun Apr 1 00:25:50 BST 2007

Can we take a second to discuss the actual requirments as this is getting
into a slag fest of favorite distos without it seems, actually applying any
logic or real discussion on the point. Now, I've made some assumptions here,
so if you disagree with any of the questions, with any of the answers or
want to provide better ones then please go ahead without biting my head
off...

1) Whats the genaral point?
To get a bootable cd with as much software on to get people using Linux. The
cd should let them use Linux whilst not destorying their windows
installation, but allow them to install it from the CD [without a network
connection].

2) What people?
People who arn't nessicairly computer literate, people who maybe dont know
what an OS is.

3) Limitations because of the above?
Well, you've got to make it bootable and theres technical tricks that let
you mount compressed drives, but you're looking at playing with about 3 gig
of virtual space on the 700 Mb Cd (I just made that up, cause I cant
remember, and I'm not an expert on the compression mounting thing, nor know
how much space has to be on the uncompressed partition)

4) Package Management.
There MUST be a package manager, (I havn't seen anyone pushing slackware as
a base system). This package manager allows the installation of basic
pre-configured binarys and settings files AND source files for custom
compilation. Custom packages should be easy to create to maintain the system
integrety (for removal of any file/package)

5) Package Updating
The computers will pull from a customisable list of servers the contents of
updated packages for installing, through the use of various tools both
graphical and normal.

6) Default Package Repositorys
Supposing that we rebadge [distoX]. Are we suggesting that the [distoX
default servers] should be used, or are we going to have LincsDisto source
servers (and :. a requirmenet for Lincs members to be responsible for
package maintainance of this distribution (and generic support for people
who will want to use both our sources and other compatible sources).
(Obviously the latter is nearly inconcevable amount of work, but if the
former, how does the Linc's default settings get applied to these installs?)

7) Official managment of release
Who is responsible for the official managment of releases? How will the
documentation of releases work? Is there going to be a checking system, by
that I mean very much committe level for which disputes or arguments can be
put to? (This can be very simple through the use of something like UK Voting
or similar)

8) Contributors
Exactly how will contributing to the system work?  (The answer to this
question again depends on various answers above).

9) Documentation
Is there an associated documentation project / how is this going to work?
(the answer of this question depends on various answers from above)

10) Legal bumpf
Are lincs covered legally for this release breaking computers. Supposing
there is a mistake in the instructions to install software, which causes
users to wipe their drives, under any situations, are Lincs
members/distribution maintainers/documentors at risk from being sued. (Has
legal advice (and by that I mean professional legal advice eg fsf or
professional body) been sought on this topic)

11) Install to disk What options does the disto have for pernament
installation?
The disto should allow a range of installations, including just using a
folder on the fat32 as well as full blwon reinstall. There should be options
to install base system without any extra packages, as well as standard user
install.

12) What license is the disto under?
hahahah im not going to try to answer that one. I will get it wrong
(Presumably more then one disto)

---
Ok, now the point of that was to actually allow discussion about individual
disto's benifits. For starters, I would like to express concern about the
continued pointing out of size of the install - the argument that Gentoo's
size benefit would give more disk space is almost immaterial as any
distribution gives custom-compile-from-source options that would give the
same output, the question should now be about what package mangers give you,
the pros and the cons of ease of continual use.

JT