[Lincs] Distro - Clarifying some points

Richard Williams richard at rkwinternet.com
Sun Apr 1 13:36:58 BST 2007

Agreed, slagging sucks (and not in a good way).

> 1) Whats the genaral point?
> To get a bootable cd with as much software on to get people
> using Linux. The
> cd should let them use Linux whilst not destorying their windows
> installation, but allow them to install it from the CD
> [without a network
> connection].

Sounds OK. I mean the bit about not destroying other OSs.

> 2) What people?
> People who arn't nessicairly computer literate, people who
> maybe dont know
> what an OS is.

I would question whether computer illerates are even interested in running
Linux. Surely, the target market is people who've used/are using windows or
Mac [substitute any other non-Linux OS] and are aware/interested in giving
Linux a go, regardless of their level of technical expertise. I just can't
see computer illiterates being interested.

> 3) Limitations because of the above?
> Well, you've got to make it bootable and theres technical
> tricks that let
> you mount compressed drives, but you're looking at playing
> with about 3 gig
> of virtual space on the 700 Mb Cd (I just made that up, cause I cant
> remember, and I'm not an expert on the compression mounting
> thing, nor know
> how much space has to be on the uncompressed partition)

Now, I'm going to stick my neck out even further...

Is having a single distro produced by LLUG, allbeit all singing/all dancing
the way to go?

What I would find helpful is having experts on hand to guide newbies like me
in the distros that I'm interested in. For example, I was interested a while
back in installing Gentoo. An associate, who runs his own web servers was
singing the praises of gentoo because it was more secure than other distros
because of fewer bells and whistles and being able to only install the
minimum to run a web server, and he said he'd benchmarked it regarding speed
and said it was quicker.

Time precluded me from going ahead.

The next distro I became interested in was Ubuntu 6.10 but ran into hardware
compatibility issues (Dell laptop).

However, if such a policy of having experts on hand in individual distros is
a possiblity, then all this childish "points scoring" would have to stop. As
adults I'm sure we all recognise different distros have different pros and
cons.

Also, if this type of regime were possible/desirable would it be possible to
use the existing forum to add categories for each distro?

If so, could the volunteer expert be given authority to moderate their own
distro category.

The benefits, as I see it, are that newbies could have a look through the
different distro categories and ask questions before deciding which distro
they will try first. And then have an ongoing source of reference/support.

I'll stop here, because the rest assumes an LLUG distro.

All the above are suggestions from a newbie, and if my suggestions are not
workable I'd be interested to know why not. On the other hand, it would be
good to see the essence embraced if it is a feasible proposition.

Another thought, could both solutions be an option to see which proves more
popular?

Richard