[Lincs] 3-in-1

Phillip Taylor Phillip.Taylor at bcs.org.uk
Wed Mar 28 00:19:47 BST 2007

Are you talking about http://www.lincs.lug.org.uk/ ?

If so I don't think I'm alone when I say it looks absolutely shit.
It's not been updated for a long time which is the worse thing. It
gives the impression the LUG has disbanded. Also (and I don't want to
offend anyone) but the member profile section just reeks of
homosexuality. I'm sorry but it had to be said!

I recon it desperately needs a complete overhaul. A new style and everything.

In terms of the things we do, I think the install fest is an okay idea
but I'd like to see some more professional, more integrated events
taking place. I'm a member of the BCS and they do fantastic events.
Masters and PHD students present ideas and do presentations on
interesting new technologies and everyone comments and discusses it
over a tea and biscuit. Then a few of the younger guys can go on to a
pub where the drinks and really techy conversations starts. Flame
wars, 1337 $p34k etc. Always a good way to spend an evening in my
opinion. Those that present get to walk away with lots of input and
constructive critisism to put into their dissitations. We could find
Linux related projects and make it a LUG event. This is just one of
many things the LUG could do in the community.

I'd be willing to wander up to the university (i'm not a student) and
stick my nose in, see if there is much interest up there. In terms of
the number of Linux users we have, i'm sure we have quite a few. The
company I work for in Lincoln manages 5000+ Linux firewalls around the
world and we've got at least 30 Linux guys in our building alone so
I'm sure some big events can be rallied if we get the right material
for them and everyone else in the region.

I'd love to talk over more suggestions with people if they care to submit them.

Phillip Taylor
Systems Developer
B.Sc. Honours Software Engineering