[Lincs] NewB Part 2

Iain Baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 13:15:44 GMT 2008

On Dec 31, 2007 3:45 PM, Bob Stoner <bob.stoner at btinternet.com> wrote:

>  Thank you to all who responded in such simple terms! I have programmed in
> QBasic (that dates me), VB, VBA and C (but never C++) some time ago but the
> first impression of terminal syntax started to worry me again!

Well there a lots of programming environments packaged with Fedora, so if
you want to get back into it then it's all there (even mono - the open
implementation of .net )

>  I am in the process of backing up the important files in XP and I do have
> gparted from the Fedora install disk.
>

> **Could you please confirm that the dual boot process is a simple switch
> on and wait for the request or do I need additional software?**
>
> From my research on the net it would seem that the Linux installation
> (Fedora 8) comes with all of the gubbins. Can anyone confirm this?

All Linux Distro's have the required gubbins. The first program that is
loaded and ran on any computer (after the bios checks et al) is the boot
loader - windows usually hides it's boot loader untill you have a problem
when it gives you options for safe mode etc... Linux uses either Grub or
Lilo (Fedora uses Grub).

Fedora's installer will create 3 Boot options; Linux, Linux Safe Mode, and
Windows (Linux will be the default unless you change it). When you switch on
the computer after installation, if it's like Fedora 7, you will get a
pretty splash screen with a countdown at the top... if you let it reach 0 it
will boot into linux - if you interrupt it (hit the return key) it will show
you the options... use the arrow keys to select which operating system you
want to boot into, and the hit return to boot into it..

> Regarding the interoperability issues I am a Maths Teacher (I know if I
> tried harder at School I could have got a proper job, in fact I did but gave
> it all up and now enjoy banging my head against a brick wall J) and I use
> a number of specific windows statistics packages, which are not cross
> platform. I am sure that eventually I will be able to find similar if not
> better Linux applications.

 Unfortunately i don't know any statistics packages off the top of my head,
but that doesn't mean they don't exist... best of luck finding what you
need, and best of luck in your new life with Fedora

Happy new year
iain