[Lincs] Lincoln LUG: launch of new LUG

Philip Newborough corenominal at corenominal.org
Thu Aug 25 15:19:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM,  <chris at majicsoft.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Philip Newborough <corenominal at corenominal.org>:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM, chris at majicsoft.co.uk
>> <chris at majicsoft.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am saddened to hear a new member come along with good intentions of
>>> re-invigorating the LUG, then turn about face and setup a localized lug,
>>> something that's been discussed in the past, and universally agreed that
>>> it
>>> would do more harm than god to the lug at large.
>>>

>> Please quantify this statement. Can you point in the direction of any
>> logs and or mailing list discussions where this was "universally
>> agreed". Personally, I cannot remember ever agreeing to this.
>>
>>  -- Philip
>
> http://www.ricey.co.uk/llugforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6
>
> I'm sure if there's an archive of the mailing list discussions, Mr Baker
> could point you in their direction. I'll have a look in my llug emails when
> I get home and can look in my archive, but I suspect all the emails I have
> from more than three years ago will have been wiped.
>
> So far this has come up for discussion, and as the forum was set up as a
> more familiar method of discussion, I see no reason for it to be ignored.
> Have you or Becky signed up to share your opinions there yet?
>
> Chris

Thank you. Unfortunately, I could not read the discussion as "The
board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum."

Anyhow, my point being, it would be wise to quantify strong statements
such as "universally agreed" before making them. For your information,
if you would like to view the mailing archives and check for yourself
if there really was a universal agreement, you can do so here [1].
Personally, I think it would be a waste of your time and you will not
find any such universal agreement.

Also, I am happy to contribute to mailing list discussions, but I am
not keen on web forums. The one constant throughout the Lincs LUG
timeline has been the mailing list, web forums have come and gone, but
the mailing list has remained in place (with archives, as pointed out
above). Personally, I think it is sad that the original revival
conversation [2] was derailed so quickly in favour of taking it off
list. :(

Anyhow, forgetting all the above, I think it is great that a new
Lincoln LUG is being set-up. I am looking at it as a complimentary LUG
to the existing Lincs LUG and I am looking forward to the first
meeting. I hope to see you there. :)

 -- Philip

[1]: http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/lincs/
[2]: http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/lincs/2011-August/001210.html