[linuxjobs] Helpdesk Operator roles at Sirius

Mark Taylor mark.taylor at siriusopensource.com
Tue Mar 14 23:27:05 UTC 2023

Sirius was founded in the UK back in 1998 and from humble beginnings has grown to serve household name clients in Government, Private Sector, and Education around the world, with our main focus in America and the UK. You can read more here if you haven’t heard of us before (https://www.siriusopensource.com <https://www.siriusopensource.com/>).

A few of you may remember me also - I’m a Brit, but I live on the US West Coast these days leading Sirius’ expansion in the US. I founded an organization called the Open Source Consortium way back when (still going, but rebranded OpenUK these days), and I had something to do with the UK Gov adopting various Open Source policies (and the Digital Marketplace).

We have a few vacancies in our UK business that we’ll be posting over the next few weeks. The first is for an entry-level position, joining our 24/7/365 Support Team as a Helpdesk Operator (1st Line).

Here’s the Job Description:

Job Summary:
You will identify the source of the problems described to you and find solutions to fix them, mediating between customers and Sirius’ engineers and management.
Your responsibilities and duties will include receiving technical support tickets, phone calls, or emails, contacting the user or customer, listening to their issue, diagnosing the problem, and walking them through the solution.
In some cases, you might have to escalate problems you are unable to resolve to the appropriate expert.
You will need to know your way around Linux and Open Source to take on this role. A degree in computer science or an IT-related field isn’t necessary (many of us were originally self-taught!), but might be an advantage. Experience in troubleshooting hardware or software-related issues will be a must. Great communication skills, an analytical mindset, and attention to detail will be much appreciated.

Essential Functions:
* Candidates must be able to triage customer issues (support incidents) from incoming calls and emails, customer systems, and real-time telemetry screens, authoring measurably concise and intelligible tickets in our ticketing system.

* The successful applicant will keep Sirius’ Ticketing System organized and current - creating, prioritizing, reviewing, updating, and documenting tickets across each incident’s ‘lifecycle’ through to resolution and closure within definite SLAs.

* Applicants will have the basic technical skills needed to solve common support issues, measured by closing tickets, in the most widely deployed Linux distributions and Open Source projects.

* You will need great communication skills, verbal and written, measured by your ability to collect, diagnose, and convey precisely and concisely to both technical and non-technical customers and colleagues.

* The successful applicant will proactively work on support incidents, applying practical skills to solve customer issues, or escalating those requiring 2nd or 3rd line expertise. Successful resolution is always measured by customer satisfaction, and permission to close the ticket.

* Company Policy requires that Customers, Colleagues, 2nd & 3rd line Engineers, and Line Management are kept informed and regularly updated in order to achieve agreed customer SLAs.

* Candidates must be willing to follow all Company Policies, and standard, documented, processes and procedures. Following ‘knowledge-base’ instructions to perform regular and scheduled tasks (e.g. DevOps, configuration management, deployment and maintenance) is part of the ‘Sirius Way’.

* Applicants must be adept at researching (including search engine research), diagnosing, troubleshooting and identifying solutions to support requests to the customer’s satisfaction.

* Candidates must have a great phone manner, and easy language skills, evaluated by ‘Mystery Shopper’ calls, to communicate with customers via phone, email or chat.

* Candidates can show that they have a track record of training and increasing their technical knowledge, based on employer needs as agreement with management.

* The successful applicant will be able to use, or willing to learn how to use, Sirius’ toolset: including Google Workspace, calendar, email, voice, meet, Wiki, and so on.

Salary Range: £20-£25k starting salary, depending on experience. This is an entry-level position.

Location of Office: We gave up our office due to lack of use during the pandemic. We are a 100% remote working company these days.

Remote Working Policy: As above - we are completely remote working!

Out of hours / on call expectations: We run three 8 hours shifts, and successful applicants will be working in one of them - part of the onboarding discussion.

If any of this sounds interesting to you, or to anyone you know with some growing Linux and F/L/OSS skills - please get in touch with me direct. If not, you may find some of the other roles we are looking for more to your liking… will post some more soon.

Warm regards to all,

Mark

Mark Taylor, Chief Executive Officer
Sirius: Infrastructure for Entrepreneurs®
https://www.siriusopensource.com
t: +001 509 254 5005