[linuxjobs] Linux systems Engineer Remote'ish/London/Brighton £30k-£90k

Dennis Dryden ddryden at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 23:02:09 UTC 2023

Remote'ish: we have offices in London and Brighton and a data centre
in Hayes, west London. We need engineers that are happy and able to
get to the data centre in London. You can if you wish spend the rest
of your working time working remote or in one of our offices. It's not
a hybrid role where you have to go to an office once a month/week/year
or an office role where we expect you to be around Monday to Friday 9
to 5.

We are expanding and have a few roles from entry level to senior, so
the salary range is large. If you know all the tools we use (or
equivalents), we can lower or even drop the location and DC visit
requirements. We are also looking for another network focused
engineer.

The Data Centre and Networks team look after servers, switching and
routing hardware to maintain tens of thousands of CPU cores, terabytes
of memory and petabytes of storage used to provide SaaS tools to our
customers. We are responsible for the whole data centre stack up to
Kubernetes. You will work closely with the data infrastructure team
who look after our big data systems and our Developer platform and SRE
teams that provide services on top of Kubernetes and monitoring
infrastructure.

We are open to remote working, if you are a highly experienced systems
engineer we can drop the need to visit UK data centres regularly, but
the entire team are expected to help out with data centre work as
required.

Our tech stack:
Linux (mostly Debian)
Juniper networks
Virtualization (libvirt/kvm)
Foreman
Puppet
PowerDNS
NGINX
Grafana
Kubernetes

Your role will include:
+ Full lifecycle management of all hardware in the data centres
+ Linux provisioning and rebuilds
+ Linux configuration management (Puppet, Ansible, Teraform)
+ Responding to monitoring alarms and tracking performance metrics
+ Diagnose and fix hardware and software issues
+ Actioning and resolving tickets from other engineers
+ Dealing with suppliers, checking in deliveries, processing RMAs and
managing stock
+ Working with on site data centre staff to resolve environment and power issues
+ Deploying/maintaining Kubernetes clusters
+ Some Travelling between London Hayes (full EU driving licence required)

Ideally, you will have:
+ One of the following:
  a. Education in computing, networking, or electronics
  b. Experience of systems administration, site reliability
engineering, DevOps, IT support, Data centre tech
+ Installed and used at least one of: Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
Illumos, NetBSD or other UNIX like OS
+ Ability to lift 10 kg (racking servers if needed)
+ Experience with a distributed system (ideally Kubernetes)
+ Ability to automate with code (e.g. BASH, Python, Ruby, Go, Rust, etc)
+ Any experience with our tech stack or similar tools
+ UK driving licence
+ Comfortable commute to Hayes, London (<2 hours)

What we offer:
£30k-£90k a year depending on experience
Cost of travel to the DC
Choice Mac or Linux laptop for work
Holiday - 25 days holiday per year + bank holidays, ability to carry 5
days over each year.
Pension contribution – employer contribution up to 5% on a matched basis
Maternity/parental leave & Sabbatical leave policy

If you are interested, then email me your CV. If you want to make my
life easy, add how well you think you fit the "Ideally, you will have"
section and highlight any overlap with our tech stack or similar tools
and your salary expectations.