[Liverpool] More screwy hardware madness

David Watson david at planetwatson.co.uk
Sun Nov 14 21:43:03 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 21:18 +0000, Mark Atherton wrote:
> i recently have had a wierd problem with hardware.  its kinda hard to
> explain. Basically all the harddisks on the first ide channel are
> getting marked /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd. and all the ones on the second
> channel are name /dev/hda  and /dev/hdb. Which is backawards and is
> messing up stuff including the boot process meaning ti wont boot
> anymore. And any attempt to reinstall has a bit of trouble because this
> backwards naming is confusing the hell out of me. Anyone ever
> experienced a similar problem

Hmm strange problem, but after this weekend nothing hardware related
would surprise me.  I would recommend some kind of sacrifice, I know
SCSI requires a goat but I think IDE maybe something smaller. ;-/

--
David Watson
david at planetwatson.co.uk
GnuPG key available from http://www.planetwatson.co.uk
Fingerprint: 5FDB B1BE 9B31 D3A8 2981  7285 0DE8 799E A7D6 AE79

"Code is for life, use python"