[Liverpool] Linux Format Writeup

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 25 21:29:49 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 21:28, Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 20:10, David Watson wrote:
> > I've filled in a couple of blanks.
>
> Thanks - just need time and address of meeting,

OK, I just woke up, and got it off their website :)

> and
> anything else that blue fountain may be doing.

We can live without this - somebody come up with some good local
companies to fill in the last gaps....

The rapidly-growing Liverpool LUG fills a void
for Merseyside Free Software users looking for
mutual support. Following the demise of the
previous University-only LUG, the many GNU/Linux
users and admins in the city have had no forum in which to air their
views and ideas about Free Software,
nor anywhere to turn for advice on kernel compilation options or
programming styles.

The new group has a webpage up at
http://liverpool.lug.org.uk/
but communication between members is concentrated on the mailing list
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/liverpool

The first meeting is planned for December 15th at the headquarters of
Blue Fountain Systems - in the India Buildings
(Brunswick Street Entrance), www.bluefountain.com - who have generously
sponsored the LUG with a meeting venue.

Liverpool's Free-Software scene is thriving, building on the city's
existing reputation as a centre for high-tech companies to do business.
Big players like Sony and Psygnosis [******maybe someone can think of a
better example], who have had studios in Liverpool for years, are now
being joined by Free Software start-ups like
******
... are now being joined by a flurry of start-ups occupying premises in
the recently redeveloped dockland areas. All of these computing
professionals, along with cohorts of computer science students from the
two local universities, constitute a large group of potential (and, we
hope, actual) members.

Although still young, the LUG has already brought together people who
use GNU/Linux in a variety of ways: in academic research, to run their
company, or just as a hobby. We hope that this diversity will help all
the members to gain insight into the different perspectives and
experiences other users have, and to provide a wider
range of knowledge to draw from.

Future plans for the LUG include a LAN party using only open-source
software.
Liverpool LUG hopes to build relationships with its neighbours, perhaps
organising joint events in future and, eventually, a regional
conference. When enough Linux users are brought together in one place,
anything could happen.

Grants for Free Software development in the UK:
http://www.affs.org.uk/grants/