[Liverpool] Extending linux distros

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Nov 28 19:25:17 GMT 2004

Hi,

Something I have been offering from work is that if anyone in the UK
wants a copy of Linux (any freely downloaded version that is), then if
they email me, I'm happy to do the dirty and post it off. Cost to the
end user is nil or near to nil. The offer only applies to the UK

As a LUG, we should be encouraging people who want Linux to have it. To
that end, can I propose this

1. We offer, via the website, a list of distros we can send out at cost
to anywhere in the world

2. We do the grunt work (don't worry about the CDs or DVDs - I can
usually get them very cheaply, or if not, pick them up from
bigpockets.co.uk) and then our benevolent sponsors in Liverpool post
them out (it's the most expensive bit). Plus, they get the advertising
and qudos for it :-)

3. We also send out live distros if they would rather try Linux than do
a full install.

It's something we can discuss on the 15th, but it would be a nice idea
if it could be done. Of course, there is nothing to stop people saying
"go away you idiot" to me now...

Aiden, can you see any problem with this? I know it's a lot to ask, but
it would be a cracking thing to be able to offer if we could.

Some stats : Since the offer was launched (when FC1 was released), I've
shipped over 300 copies to the UK and another 60 to Europe with 20 to
the Africas. Distros include Mandrake, Debian, Slackware, FC and some of
the smaller ones. Over 150 copies of Gnoppix/Knoppix have also been sent
out.

I dread to see the cost of that when I tot it up at the end of the year,
but it's worth it just to get the message out there IMO.

TTFN

Paul

--
"I'm gonna hit the highway like a bat out of hell with a Cilla Black fan
on the bike" - Meatloaf