[Liverpool] Grub and chainloader

Neil Bothwick neil at stfw.net
Thu Dec 1 12:51:56 GMT 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:39:13 +0000, tony burrows wrote:

> On Tuesday Neil mentioned the idea of a partition which could have
> different distros in at different times and chainload to boot them.
>
> As far as I understand it you set grub to be at the start of the
> partition instead of the mbr and then can use your main grub and
> chainload.  This means you don't have to reconfigure the grub menu each
> time you try a new distro.
>
> But how do you make sure this happens?  I've only tried it once so far,
> with an astounding lack of success.

Do you have a Windows entry in your GRUB menu? It's exactly the same as
that. It has been a while since I did this, but it always worked
perfectly. It is something along the lines of

Title Some other distro
root (hdx,y) # remember that GRUB counts devices properly, unlike Linux :)
chainloader +1

--
Neil Bothwick

Are Cheerios really doughnut seeds?