LUG activities [was Re: [Liverpool] Re: Liverpool Digest, Vol 13, Issue 2]

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 6 21:28:03 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 12:38 +0000, Omar Baqueiro wrote:

> Just wanted to tell you I am new to this group. I am a student in the
> U. of Liverpool, I like Linux and just would like to know what are the
> current events in this group.

Hello Omar,

The group is just getting started, and finding its feet.
Activities are really up to what the members want to happen.

However at the first meeting we did discuss practical ways
of advocating Free Software use. This covered different areas
(business, education, charities, home users) and what
promotional activities would be most effective. I believe that
we then said we would carry on the discussion on the list.
So, I guess we're just waiting for someone to come up with
a good idea, or further discuss one of those mentioned at
the meeting.

Um, okay, since I'm here I'll try:
Bootable distros. With recordable CDs at less than two bob a
piece we could easily finance a thousand CDs as a group, if there
was the will (in fact ten times that number is a realistic
target).

So, how about we pick one (or a selection) of the very best KNOPPIX
variants and find a suitable event at which to give them out,
along with a simple leaflet introducing Free Software. You're
welcome to recycle appropriate sections of text from the AFFS
leaflet that I gave out at the meeting, and we could write
something on local and national support for GNU as well.

 - Richard

--
Grants for Free Software development in the UK:
http://www.affs.org.uk/grants/