[Liverpool] Debian

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 13 22:11:13 GMT 2005

Hello Tony,

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 20:51 +0000, Tony Burrows wrote:
> I know we've got some Debian users out there.

I'm too lazy to use anything else ;-)

[deletia]
> Not sure I can face going all the way from the start again.  Is there any
> (fairly) straightforward way to bring in a server and configure it?

1. Change the line that says `stable' or `woody' in
   /etc/apt/sources.list to `sarge'
   Then run
apt-get update
   followed by
apt-get dist-upgrade
   (or just
apt-get install x-window-system
   )

-or-

2. Try to get basic functionality without updating your X server:
   either by running
xf86cfg
   or just change some of the values in
   /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
   to try to make your new card work with the old driver.

   You could use the vesa driver to get your GUI working
while you are waiting for your dist-upgrade to get going :)
(just change the colour depth in XF86Config-4, don't bother
with base-config.)

btw next time you want to do a Debian install download the
Sarge installer, or use your disc for a minimal install
then upgrade to Sarge.

   hth,

 - Richard

--

``Life can only be understood backwards,
  but it muxt be lived forwards.''  - Kierkegaard