[Liverpool] Wireless network cards

tony burrows tony at tonyburrows.uklinux.net
Mon Feb 14 10:58:19 GMT 2005

David Watson wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 21:20 +0000, tony burrows wrote:
>

>>David Watson wrote:
>>

>>>Probably not as bad as the new Buffalo cards ( Broadcom chipset ).  I
>>>had to use Ndiswrapper to get it to work.  Just making my life difficult
>>>for myself really.  I installed my new workstation motherboard today to
>>>find it also uses broadcom for the nic. :(
>>>

>>Odd, since according to Broadcom, there is an embedded linux driver in
>>the chipset.  I've got a broadcom nic in the laptop motherboard and it
>>works fine, using a linux driver I downloaded from the Broadcom site.
>>
>>Tony
>>

>Didn't work for the buffalo card, I have yet to try it on the new
>workstation.

I tried the linux-wlan-ng code, compiled but was a bit of a PITA (as
predicted).  In fact, I also have a card with the Ralink chipset (Asus,
el cheapo at a computer fair).  The company had a linux driver which it
open sourced, and there's a Ralink project now.  Code compiled like a
dream, installed beutifully and comes with its own config utility as
well as some iwpref settings.  Unlike wlan-ng, 54mbps is standard, so
I'm using that one now.  Seems stable (so far).

Tony