[Liverpool] Disk read failure issue: assistance needed.

Dave Brotherstone davegb at pobox.com
Sun Apr 2 08:50:34 BST 2006

This doesn't look good.  At best, you have a couple of rough bits on your
drive (possible) or some incorrect parameters in the bios (unlikely), at
worst, your drive is on its way to hard drive heaven.  Firstly, you need to
identify which drive it is - the device as listed below is sdc2.  So if you
type "dmesg" (without quotes) you'll get your kernel messages - scrolling
through this should tell you which drive is sdc2.  Do you know which
filesystem is installed on sdc2?  If not, then type "mount", and it should
somewhere say something like...

/dev/sdc2 on / type ext3

It's the last bit you're interested in.  It could be ext2, ext3, XFS,
reiserfs or several others.  Then you can run a fsck (FileSystem ChecK) on
that drive once you're logged in as root in single user mode (which is
probably what has been offered to you).

I'm no expert on fsck, but I think you do :

fsck -n /dev/sdc2
to check the disk.  If the disk was ext2 or ext3 (I think, never had ext3 so
can't be sure), it should tell you how to fix the errors (ie. what options
to run fsck with) in order to try to fix it.  If it's reiser fs, then you'll
need to run fsck -n --fix-fixable /dev/sdc2.

However, if there are bad-blocks detected and fixed, be aware that it's
usually a sign that you're going to get more.  If it can't fix them (ie.
mark them as bad and never use them again), then I think you're stuffed,
short of a low level format to mark them at the disk level as bad.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Dave.