[Liverpool] Ubuntu and libdvdcss - in fact any distro!

tony burrows tony at tonyburrows.uklinux.net
Tue Jun 27 20:38:48 BST 2006

I'm trying to play back commercial dvds on Ubuntu.

I followed instructions to:
 change from totem-gstreamer to totem-xine
 install dvdread
 run install-css.sh from the dvdread examples directory

This installed libdvdcss.so.2.0.8

When I try to play a dvd using totem it tells me the dvd is encrypted
and I need to install libdvdcss!

I've tried removing and re-installing totem, and also installing xine-ui
to try that as a player - same result each time - no libdvdcss.

Incidentally, I've had the same problem trying to get commercial dvds
playing on my desktop machine with suse10 - claim that no libdvdcss is
present wneh it is.

Any ideas?

Tony