[Liverpool] WUBI Ubuntu Linux

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Mon Apr 14 09:32:28 BST 2008

On 13/04/2008, Peter Howden <peter at peterhowden.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just installed WUBI Ubuntu linux on my (several years old) centrino
> Hi-grade laptop. Got a working installation apart from the wi-fi Internet
> connection which doesn't work. When booting into Windows I have to press a
> "hotkey" above the keyboard to switch on the wi-fi. This doesn't seem to
> work when booting into Ubuntu (the button doesn't illuminate as it does with
> windows to indicate it's switched on).

That'll be a hotkey event, install acpi-support and see if that helps
at all, check the contents of /var/log/acpid to see if its actually
registering the keypresses.

It's either fired off through ACPI or its own custom input device,
hopefully it's the first and a lot easier to resolve :)

What model is it?

> I've tried plugging in a USB network
> adaptor with no luck either - lsusb showed the adaptor was identified etc
> (and the adaptor works with Ubuntu when plugged into my desktop). I've
> entered the correct router details, WEP password etc. Any ideas?. Thanks.

This could be numerous things, check dmesg to see if its actually
picking up the wifi card first, i suspect it is but it would be good
to know what type it is.

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://tensixtyone.com/