[Liverpool] workshops at FACT?

heather.corcoran at fact.co.uk heather.corcoran at fact.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 15:06:00 BST 2008

Hi guys

I talked to Richard a little bit about this already (thanks Richard!) - we're developing our workshop schedule at FACT for the fall, and I wondered whether the LLUG would like to take a slot?

What this means is, Liverpool LUG does an official workshop once a month using FACT's facilities. We can help promote it by putting it in our brochure, mailouts, etc. Someone from the LUG or the LUG's networks would propose and teach the course and we can either take payment from each person who wants to do the course and pay the instructor a set fee, or the LUG can set a policy of donations that goes straight to the instructor. I like the latter better because its less work to set up (don't need to take registrations, only RSVPs straight to the instructor) and means its more open.

Our courses are usually daytime during the week but I suppose they could be done on evenings/weekends too.

I would see this as slightly different than the talks/monthly meet up we're talking about doing because they would be a bit more formal, possibly a bit longer (day long, afternoon long) and more about newbies or outsiders than the LLUG itself. The talks i.e. monthly meetings are more informal and social among us.

We will credit both the LLUG and the individual instructor of course - it would essentially be your courses that you can run how you think best, while fulfilling our mandate to have our facilities used more often and by different groups of people. I hope it would be mutually beneficial - and spread the word about free software.

I'd also hope that anyone volunteering thinks they can do a good job of sharing their skills and teaching to people who might be at different skill levels - workshopping is an art! And not always easy - but definitely fun (I think).

We're getting pure:dyne set up on our machines, which is essentially Debian with some goodies: http://puredyne.goto10.org/.

Discuss! Good idea? Ideas for courses? Prefer the donations model or set payment? Who wants to volunteer? Timing?

--
Heather Corcoran
Curator

t: + 44 (0)151 707 4425
f: + 44 (0)151 707 4445

http://www.fact.co.uk
Bookings: +44 (0)8707 583217
Information: +44 (0)151 707 4450

FACT is proud to be in LIVERPOOL, EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE 2008