[Liverpool] Liverpool LUG Meeting - 3rd September 2008

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sun Aug 31 15:44:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 16:03 +0100, Andrew Williams wrote:
> Ahh yes, unfortunately I have a serious lack of formal ID (my passport
> was last spotted in Liverpool, somewhere), so i'll be unable to do any
> signatures. Best ID i've got at the moment is a Rail Pass :)

This shouldn't put you off; firstly, there's signature types that deal
with different levels of certification and secondly, you can still sign
others' keys :-)

RFC4880 (page 19) defines the following certification types:

   0x10: Generic certification of a User ID and Public-Key packet.
       The issuer of this certification does not make any particular
       assertion as to how well the certifier has checked that the owner
       of the key is in fact the person described by the User ID.

   0x11: Persona certification of a User ID and Public-Key packet.
       The issuer of this certification has not done any verification of
       the claim that the owner of this key is the User ID specified.

   0x12: Casual certification of a User ID and Public-Key packet.
       The issuer of this certification has done some casual
       verification of the claim of identity.

   0x13: Positive certification of a User ID and Public-Key packet.
       The issuer of this certification has done substantial
       verification of the claim of identity.

       Most OpenPGP implementations make their "key signatures" as 0x10
       certifications.  Some implementations can issue 0x11-0x13
       certifications, but few differentiate between the types.

Bring along a gas bill, bank statement or something similar and I reckon
casual certification would be reasonable.

Bob