[Liverpool] RE:Learning Linux

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 6 16:01:40 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 09:45 -0600, Akin Adeniyi wrote:
> I am enquiring if you know any local school or college where I can learn
> Linux. I currently work offshore using a Red Hat Linux based system and
> having to manage it. I will like to increase my knowledge and probably do
> the relevant exams help with the learning.
> I reside in the Wirral in Cheshire.

Hello Akin,

Can you be a bit more specific? I presume you're not
referring to just the Linux kernel, but do you mean
GNU/Linux generally? Workstation/Desktop use? SysAdmin?
Network Admin? Unix generally? FOSS OSs generally?

E.g., for sysadmins:
There are LPIC courses sporadically across the north -
it depends how far you are prepared to travel. I imagine
the situation is similar for RHCE, but I don't actually
know.

If you're looking for a more entry-level qualification,
M6-IT C.I.C. and its partners are launching a QCA-
approved sysadmin qualification at the end of the
month, roughly aimed at the sort of ``accidental techie''
found in many small organisations. The barriers to
offering training in this will be low, so I hope
there will be some local take-up :-)

Cheers,

 - Richard