[Liverpool] Re: Myth TV

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Sun Jan 6 16:50:41 GMT 2008

On 06/01/2008, Iain MacGranthin <iaingmacg at mac.com> wrote:
> However I still can't get the EPG to display, or populate the database
> - I don't think Myth TV is registering it, although I know my device
> (terratec t2) can deal with it fine as it does so quite happily on
> Kaffeine...

Well the EPG data is in the actual MPEG stream, so it's not card
dependent. What source are you using? (I assume DVB-T).

First of all you need to check that your tuner is setup in
mythtv-setup to receive EIT data. Then check that each channel has
"Use On Air Data" set, I usually do this sort of SQL on the database:

update channel set useonairguide = 1 where sourceid = <source>

Or if your using a mixed Radio Times XMLTV and EIT

update channel set useonairguide = 1 where sourceid = <source> and xmltvid = ""

To check EIT is working, you can run mythbackend -v eit, and you
should get some output in the logs.

> AND: Has anyone made use of myth's transcode feature?

No, I don't use mythtranscode, as the MPEG2->MPEG4 transcoding has
little to no benefit on UK DVB-T transmission (due to their low
bitrate). I use nuvexport and a little settings script and run it via
a userjob.

For transcode to Xvid i use the following job string:

/usr/local/bin/nuvexport-xvid --mencoder --nice 19 --channel %CHANID%
--starttime %STARTTIME%

and my nvuexportrc:

<XviD>
    vbr          = yes   # Enable vbr to get the multipass/quantisation options
    multipass    = no   # You get either multipass or quantisation;
multipass will override
    quantisation = 3   # 4 through 6 is probably right...  1..31 are
allowed (lower is betterquality)

    a_bitrate    = 256   # Audio bitrate of 256 kbps
    v_bitrate    = 4500   # Remember, quantisation overrides video bitrate

    width        = 624   # Height adjusts automatically to width,
according to aspect ratio
    height       = auto
</XviD>

--