[Liverpool] Re: Sun to acquire MySQL for US$1 billion

Omar Baqueiro obaqueiro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 17:41:27 GMT 2008

This is just to give a bit of activity to the list.

On Jan 17, 2008 4:00 PM, César <cesare.diaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using Postgres in my job but... what happen for old systems using
> this database? they will change the rules for licences? this is the
> question??

I presume that nothing bad can happen, I read a comment in slashdot
which I thought was quite insightful. It said that whatever licensing
changes would be for good, given the current licensing mess in MySQL.
However, for open source projects it wont make any difference because
IIRC MySQL is GPL'd, thus in the not likely case that Sun changed such
license, I am sure a fork will be imediatly available to continue
improving the GPL'd version.

By the way, my flatmate is asking me when is the next Open Source
conference going to be. We went to the last one (about open source
education) in the Liverpol Digital buildings and even though he was
just barely interested (we are running a NGO in Mexico which uses
several open source technologies such as Dokeos) he was the lucky guy
who won the Ipod. Can you believe it? hehe

Kind regards,

Omar.