[Liverpool] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Free Space Manchester - 11am, Saturday 12th, @ Zion Arts Centre]

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 12 10:45:24 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 10:24 +0100, Daniel Hulme wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 09:24:56PM +0100, Richard Smedley wrote:
> > Forwarded message from Mick Fuzz. (Better late than never!)
>
> > -------//////   frEe sPacE manChesTer sTartZ \\\\\\\---------
>
> > How the space is going to work, ie who will staff it, isn't set in
> > stone.

> > please email to confirm that it's happening
>
> I'm not sure which of the above is the biggest warning sign, but I'm
> finding it quite hard to take these people seriously.

<shrugs/>
I presumed it meant they were mostly working with a young crowd.

While I'm less than likely to employ people who cannot communicate
in clear English, I accept that within certain groups people
have there own way of communicating.

The Zion Centre is a good space; Hulme has some interesting
social enterprises; some of the crowd behind the Basement
achieved some useful things - so let's not rush to judge ;)

Meanwhile, we talked at the LUG meeting about doing something
similar (to Sheffield's Access Space): let's see what *we*
can do. Duplicating it needs premises and volunteers with
time. Funding could start this off. Alternatively does anyone
have any other ideas of how to start an open access, Free Software-
powered space here?

 - Richard
   (who correctly punctuates all of his text messages ;)